Cook for Senior Citizens Centre
A job that makes a difference !
New Hope is a non for profit charitable organisation in the heart of NDG, toward breaking isolation of seniors. New Hope does this by serving community lunches and preparing and delivering Meals on Wheels three times a week as well as by offering a variety of day time programming and activities at the centre. New Hope also works with volunteers as part of a skills building and integration program with Forward house.
The Cook provides support to the kitchen by assisting in the following tasks :
- Working and collaborating as the teams’ lead cook with kitchen staff to prepare and cook the meal of the day. This will include food preparation, chopping, cooking, and executing the meal of the day.
- Prioritize kitchen needs- timing, cooking, packaging, dishwashing
- Meal planning, researching and experimenting with recipes in conjunction with Kitchen Manager and Food Services Coordinator.
- Motivating, encouraging and guiding volunteers during demanding services periods.
- Ensure food safety –ensures cleanliness and maintenance of kitchen equipment.
- Ensure safety of kitchen personnel
In conjunction with Kitchen Manager and Food Services Coordinator monitor the needs of the frozen meal program ; quantity and choice/selection of meals and to execute the production of the frozen meals.
In conjunction with the Kitchen Manager and Food Services Coordinator ensure manpower needs in the kitchen.
Required experience and skills:
- Work experience in a professional kitchen and/or formal cooking education.
- Strong communication skills, English a necessity.
- Ability to lead through example.
- Ability to plan and organize own work and that of others,
- High standard of cleanliness and hygiene. MAPAQ certification an asset.
- Ability to work under pressure and make quick decisions.
- A creative interest in food and cookery.
- Stamina and ability to work in a hot and busy kitchen.
- Ability to deal calmly with unexpected situations.
Contract- Hours: 3-4 days a week (Monday to Thursday), 7 hours a day: (21-28 hours a week) depending upon your schedule.
Three-month probation period
Please send your cover letter and C.V. to email@example.com by April 10th, 2020.